So, one day, I noticed one of my servers was sending a ton of emails out to dodgy looking ….@mail.ru or ….@list.ru addresses. UH OH!
At first I thought the mail server on my webserver had been compromised. On further investigation I managed to see to that the contents of these mails were account registration validation emails. Looking in the Magento admin (Customers>Manage Customers) I saw them…thousands of new customer registrations – with Russian copy in the name fields and, on the whole [something]@mail.ru or [something]@list.ru addresses but also some with [something]@gmail.com.
So you are trying to do a fulltext search but your searches for “cat” or “dog” always return zero results, even though you have articles all about cats and dogs. By default the minimum search text length for full index searches is 4 characters, anything less than that returns nothing, zip, nada, jack-all. You need to change the minimum word length.
This can throw people using something like Magento whose product types or names are short, such as “bag”,”cup”, or “mug”. The problem isn’t actually in Magento but a server setting. You might be kind of stuck if you are using a shared hosting environment – you can contact your hosting service and ask nicely.
So, I was testing the “this site is using cookies” functionality in Magento. It worked fine on a local environment but failed to work on a test “live” IP address site. I say failed, but it worked fine in IE and Firefox whereas in Chrome hitting the “I agree to cookies” button didn’t set a cookie and redirected. I eventually solved it. Continue reading Magento Cookies not Working in Chrome or Opera on Frontend